1.11.2015

The weekend that almost didn't happen. Disney World Half Marathon edition.

Let me start off this post by saying.  I hate that I have gained weight.  HATE. IT. 

About a year ago, signed up to do the Disney World 1/2 Marathon.  

The night before I left for the race, I cried to Ben that I didn't think I should waste my time going down to Florida because I was too fat to run.  I know that really, I am not too fat to run, but maybe too fat to do a half marathon.  Serious issues going on in my head, friends.  Serious issues. I should probably see someone about that. Anyway. Driving down I had some anxiety about the race.  Not only was I nervous because this was my first race, but I thought I would be laughed at because I don't look like a runner.

Well friends, I was pleasantly surprised because as soon as I entered the expo, and saw everyone getting their packets, I felt so much better about being an "oversized" runner.  There were a lot of people that I would not classify as looking like "runners", but there they were.  So I felt better.  Whew.  Crisis averted.

Then that night, I went out to dinner with some friends (Love you Intrigue Family), and went home to sleep a few hours before the 3:00 alarm went off.  Man that is early.  But I woke up, and the adrenaline was enough to get me out of bed.

Disney does races well.  It was organized, people were friendly, and it was an awesome atmosphere to run in.  I have to say the only thing that even Disney cannot make magical are the port-o-potties. But I'm not going to complain about that, I am grateful they were there.

My favorite parts- fireworks went off at the start of each corral.  That means, since I was in the second to last corral, I saw the fireworks 15 times before I started running.  AND I was early, so I was at the very front of my corral, so I was the first one off the line.  I felt like a big deal.

At the beginning (not so much at the end) of the race I was passing people.  I'm not kidding.  I. passed. people.  Again, I felt like a big deal.

It was so much fun.  There were characters, cheerleaders, high school bands, volunteer cheer squads, people dressed up in costumes, running through Magic Kingdom and Epcot. 

 It was also tough.  I don't think I am meant for long runs, but that doesn't mean I won't do it again.  Maybe next year?

I finished in 3 hours 40 seconds. That time included stopping to use (and wait for) the aforementioned port-a-potties, taking pictures, and taking pictures of other people. 
I feel good about my time. I was more excited that I actually I finished than what time I got. 

And I got a medal. And a t-shirt.  And a banana. And a snack pack.  And a picture with Bert. And a possible stress fracture. And a blister. Did I mention the medal?




My picture at the expo.  Feeling pumped up and ready.




I dressed up like Mary Poppins, did I tell you that?  The hat was the only thing visible during the race, because it was surprisingly cold. Really cold.




I stopped to take some pictures, but the best photo-op was meeting Burt. And the penguins. 



I finished, with a medal.


Then I went back to the hotel room, and hung out there for awhile.

I had thought about going back to Epcot after the race, but thought "better not".  Instead I spent the day watching TV, then I walked to a nearby restaurant where I enjoyed an excellent meal 100% guilt free.  It was pretty sweet.

Lessons learned: 
1. I'm not too fat or too slow to run a half marathon.
2. If you are going to do a half marathon once in your life- this should be it.
3. I'm pretty awesome.


Oh and I know it's been awhile since I posted.  I'm going to work on that.  I promise.  

Hugs and kisses.



2 comments:

Natalie said...

You are so amazing! Way to go Emily! I don't think I could ever run that far. You should be very proud of yourself. Congrats!

Little Crazies said...

You are awesome, Em! I would never be able to run a half marathon. For reals.

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS