4.07.2010

Shoplifting.

I have prepared myself for the time when Jack or Thomas would "accidentally" walk out of the grocery store with a small item like candy or a toy.  I have planned how I would handle their first shoplifting experience.  I would take them back to the store, have them explain to the cashier or customer service person what had happened, and we would either pay for it, or return it.  I didn't think that this would happen in a place where I didn't speak the language, and I didn't think the person shoplifting would be me.  Okay, before you start questioning my integrity or morals, let me explain.  Every week I make a list of groceries we need in a notebook.  I am on my last few pages, and so on my list this week, I have a new notebook listed.  Both Ben and I needed a notebook, so we had two picked out.  When we got home, Ben asked me what color I bought, and I told him, I got the yellow one.  He asked me where it was.  I told him I thought it was in one of the bags, and he said that it wasn't.  At that moment I remembered where I put my new yellow notebook.  I went over to the diaper bag, and sure enough, there was the brand new, unpaid for yellow notebook.  Exactly where my notebook belongs.  I gasped. 
Ben looked at me, and asked if we had paid for it. 
Nope.  We sure didn't. 
Ben asked me what I was going to do about it, and I told him since he spoke Spanish, he could take it back. 
No.  You did it, you take care of it. 
He asked me what I was going to tell the people in the store. 
I laughed. 
Out of the Spanish vocab I have acquired, shoplifting, return, and embarrassed are not included. 
I had the drive to the store to figure out how in the world I was going to take back the yellow notebook.
How did I take care of it?  I left the yellow notebook in my diaper bag, walked to the aisle where the crime took place, looked around to make sure no one was looking, and put it back.  I didn't have to talk to anyone, and my conscience is clear.  I call that a win.
However, a new notebook is still on my list. 


*Note.  I realize that I could have just purchased the notebook, but just in the thirty minutes that passed between the time we left the store and when I came back to bring the notebook, the lines had doubled, and the wait was not worth it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you hardened criminal!

Actually, that's *totally* something that I would do. I get sidetracked so very easily that this would just totally happen to me! And I wouldn't have the Spanish vocabulary, either.

Anja said...

oh man that sounds like fun! I've actually had to do something similar...Kardyn was in the front seat of my double stroller and after leaving The Gap and visiting about 2 other stores, I noticed she had a pair of Gap jeans in her hand! OMG....I tried to go up and talk to a sales person but couldn't find one and the register was busy, so I just walked back to the display where she got them from and placed them back in their place. I just felt so silly!! Oops!

Rebekah said...

My kids are wondering why I am laughing out loud! I'm so glad you guys are able to have this adventure as a family! We considered our move to Jersey "foreign", and we LOVED it and were SO grateful for it. Good luck with the Spanish!

JCooper said...

Ah, I love reading your blog. It's always so entertaining! We were thinking about you guys with the recent earthquake. So glad you're all okay!

Emily said...

haha I've done something like that before, too! It does feel pretty lame to have to go in and 'splain yourself. I'm just glad you feel better about the whole thing now!

Bfiles said...

that's so funny! I would be worried that in a foreign country they might not be understanding and cart me off to jail or something....good for you for resolving it! :)

Liz said...

That is awesome! You are hilarious! I have actually walked out of the store several times with things on bottom of my cart that I have not paid for. Luckily I was able to just run back in and pay for them. The sad thing is that everytime I have had to do that, the salesperson is always amazed that I would come back in to pay and had not just left.

Anonymous said...

It's Friday, and that means that the Two Month Blogiversary of the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/aZJeOz

(If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!

Jessica said...

Hilarious!

Unknown said...

I love the way you solved the notebook problem, it made me laugh out loud. Sorry Jack had to have the glass removed surgically. Jack and I are twins.....I had surgery last Wednesday, and I am having a problem with finding anything that sounds or tastes good. I made two pair of curtains and two aprons this past week. Love all your pictures and reports of your lives. Love, Grandma

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS